Friday, December 19, 2014

Why I hate Mathew Berry by MC

It was the magical year of 1999.  I was begining college, the future was bright and possibilities were endless.  I slaved through my first semester and began the second.  Like most things, as my wife will tell you,  I didn't finish.  I took away a few things from SLU.  A distain for college athletes, a bad taste in my mouth about college in general, and a love of fantasy football. 

It started off as an annoying banner add when searching for questionable content.  Eventually in the preseason I bit and clicked.  It seemed shady and I lived in fear Yahoo! would find a way to charge me money.  The draft went by and I homered it.  Trent Green's first year with the Rams would be magical.  I was sure of it and made sure I came away with Trent, Isaac Bruce, and Marshall Faulk.  At the time they were all reaches.  I'm sure my actions prompted more than one insult from other men behind their keyboards.  Then Rodney Harrison happened and Trent was writhing in agony.  Disappointed and being a noob I instantly grabbed some fella named Kurt Warner, instead of more well know QB.  The season began and what would grow to be know as the "greatest show on turf", was doing me well.  Then the week of magic happened.  Kurt threw 4 TDs to Bruce in one game, and as I crushed my opponent beneathe my boot like a cockroach, I became hooked.  

My fantasy obsession has only grown stronger over the years.  Still searching for another of those magical, mythical, unbelievable games and seasons. 

As a result I can sit here in 2014 and tell you I hate Mathew Berry.  That's right, you heard that come out of left field.  It's not that I have a personal vendetta against TMR.  In fact it's hatred driven by envy.  He has a job watching sports and annalyzing them for fantasy purposes.  I hate him, Scott White, Nando Di Fino, Tristan Cockcroft, and any other lucky bastard that gets to do what I love for a living.  They actually get paid to do something for a living, that my wife wishes I would just shut up about...all year round.  So kudos to you boys, the lucky few who get to live my fantasy and fantasy.  As long as you keep up the good work, I'll keep hating, reading, and listening.  

-MC

No comments:

Post a Comment